2021-2022 Return To School Plan
The following plan is presented to Conejos County Public Health. Our goal is to work closely with CCPH to ensure a safe school year for both staff and students. This plan is developed while taking into consideration the whole need of our students and staff. These needs include social-emotional, mental health, academic, and physical health needs. The goal is to weigh all these needs equally to provide a safe and healthy learning environment that meets the need of the whole child.
The following plan is in place as we begin the school year beginning August 19, 2021. Currently, there are eight active cases in Conejos County. The following plan is in place when county, community, and school cases remain low.
· Masks are optional while in our school and participating in athletics. However, we recommend and encourage those who are not vaccinated to wear a mask. Masks will not be required in the building, in the classrooms, or on campus. Those choosing to wear a mask, will not be discriminated against. We honor your choice in this matter.
· Masks will be required for all students being transported on a school bus or school transportation. This is due to a federal mandate this has been placed on all public transportation, including school buses. More information on this mandate can be found at the following link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/face-masks-public-transportation.html
· Breakfast for all grades will be grab-and-go and will be eaten in classrooms.
· Lunch will be eaten in the cafeteria in cohorts consisting of grades K-2, 3-6, 7-8, and 9-12 with no masks required at any time.
· Cleaning of surfaces, handwashing, and other protocols to keep our school healthy will continue.
· Students will continue to be socially spaced to the extent possible.
· The school will be responsible for contact tracing and notifying the parents of those who may have been exposed. Only those who were within three feet for 15 minutes or more and exhibiting symptoms or testing positive for COVID-19 may be quarantined. Entire cohorts will not be quarantined unless an outbreak occurs within the cohort. Those who have been vaccinated will not need to quarantine.
· We will offer free COVID-19 testing for any students and staff who wish to be tested.
· Unvaccinated staff will be tested weekly.
· Students participating in sports will be tested weekly.
· Parents are encouraged to check their students daily for COVID-19 symptoms before sending them to school. If a child exhibit any of these symptoms, they are to remain home, and we encourage them to be tested for COVID-19. The school nurse will be a resource for free testing.
· The school will provide opportunities for students and staff who are eligible to be vaccinated.
· The school will work closely with CCPH to monitor current COVID conditions within the school, community, and county.
· CCPH will be notified of all positive cases within the school.
· As conditions change the school will monitor its plan and change it as needed.
· COVID-19 mandates will be followed.