Dear Sanford School Community,
I am sure you are all aware of the many cancellations of school events throughout the state of Colorado. Other large gatherings across the country and world wide are also being cancelled. No doubt, you are curious as to what the future plans are for the school concerning COVID-19.
We are in contact with the State and County health departments daily. We are also receiving daily instructions and updates from Colorado Department of Education. Here is the latest direction from the Governor as of Wednesday directing school closures:
State ordered closure criteria:
● Any school* in Colorado with a single confirmed case of COVID-19 in a staff or student will close for a minimum of 72 hours for cleaning and social distancing.
● Any schools that are closed will partner with their local public health agency to conduct contact tracing and further COVID-19 testing.
● Any school with a second confirmed case of COVID-19 in a staff or student within a 30 day period requires a second minimum 72 closure for cleaning, testing and public health investigation.
● Any school with 3 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in staff or students within a 30 day period requires a closure for a minimum of 14 days.
● If 3 schools in a district have confirmed cases of COVID-19 within a 30 day period, all schools within the district are required to close for a minimum of 14 days for cleaning, testing and public health investigation.
As fast as closures and cancellations are taking place, there may further direction given within days. The good news is that we are going into Spring Break and as of yesterday, no confirmed cases in the San Luis Valley. Custodians will be focused on disinfecting the entire school during the break.
We will keep you informed when and if we are directed by the health department to make changes to the above proceedings.
In the mean time, here is a link to factual resources that may assist you: